The Aquis Gold Coast Titans today announced the appointment of respected senior club executive, Brian Canavan, to the newly created position of Chief Operating Officer.
The creation of this role and the streamlining of the club’s administrative structure is the final component of the internal review of the club’s operations that began 18 months ago.
The new structure places the club on a more commercially focused and efficient footing with three key departments covering all aspects of the club’s operations – Chief Operating Officer (including football), Commercial and Finance.
Chief Executive Officer, Graham Annesley, lauded Brian’s appointment is a major coup for the Titans given his extensive experience in football operations, development and the administration of the game at the elite level.
“Brian is not only an experienced Rugby League administrator, he is also a quality individual who will further add to the public credibility of this club as we continue to rebuild and improve”, Mr Annesley said.
“Over the course of his 18 years at the Roosters, Brian has been an integral part of the management of one of the most successful clubs in the game. His acquisition by the Titans is as important as any other made in the club’s short history.”
Brian, who grew up on Queensland’s Darling Downs, is a Bachelor of Human Movement Studies (education) graduate with a Rugby League Level 4 Coaching Certificate and a post graduate certificate in sport medicine.
Following a 10-year teaching career he became involved in rugby league, working with Queensland and National Rugby League clubs, Queensland Maroons State of Origin and rugby league’s governing bodies. His involvement in the sport has covered the areas of management, senior coaching, strength and conditioning and junior participation development.
In recent times Brian was Chief Executive Officer of Sydney Roosters club before becoming a special projects consultant for the Australian and National Rugby Leagues, working with national and state governing bodies. He returned to the Roosters in late 2012 as Chief Operating Officer, Football.
Brian’s starting date will be confirmed in coming days but it is hoped to have him on board as soon as possible after his relocation from Sydney.
Brian Canavan’s resume
· Secondary school teacher (eight years) plus Senior Assistant to Principal - 1978-1987
· Broncos:- Strength and Conditioning Coach/Development Manager - 1988-89
· Cronulla Sharks - Assistant Coach/ Football Manager 1992-93
· Qld State of Origin Coaching staff - Strength and Conditioning Coach 1989-1994
· Sydney Roosters Rugby League Club (15 years, 1994-2008) in roles as Assistant Coach, Football Manager and CEO
· Australian/National/State Bodies Rugby League Special Projects Consultant 2009-2012
· Sydney Roosters Rugby - Chief Operating Officer – Head of Football Club reporting to the Easts Group CEO and Easts Group Board 2012-present
Related Board and Committee Memberships
· Rugby League Research Board – Chairperson 2007 to present
· Australian Rugby League Development Foundation (ARLD) - inaugural Board Member, 1999-2012
· Country Rugby League Audit and Risk Committee - Chairperson 2015 to present
· NSWRL Second Tier Structure/Competitions Review Committee 2015 to present
· University of NSW Education Advisory Committee (sport high schools) – 2015 to present
· Australian Institute of Management (Fellow) 2002 – present