You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Rabbitohs finish too strong for Titans after Fifita blitz

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have come home too strong for the Titans in front of a big Cbus Super Stadium crowd on the Gold Coast.

In the first half it was officially the festival of Fifita.

David destroyed all in his path, scoring three tries before half-time as he went on a Cbus Super Stadium rampage.


Playing in a jersey honouring the 100 years of the Royal Australian Air Force and led onto the field by their strapper and Vietnam War veteran Darrell Madge, the Titans started the ANZAC Round with a flurry.

Fifita scored in the second minute of the game, initially denied on-field, the second rower effectively used a captain's challenge to confirm the first points.

The Titans attack looked good and breaks by Ash Taylor and Corey Thompson showed the home side's intent.

The Rabbits defence held strong and it was South Sydney that crossed next through Jaxson Paulo.  Three minutes later it was Cody Walker who crossed and the visitors hit the lead (10 points to 6).

Then came Fifita.

His second try came in the 30th minute, scoring next to the post and skittling Rabbitohs defenders close to the try line.  Two minutes later it was an impressive play down the left edge, with Ash Taylor hitting Brian Kelly who poked his nose through the defence before finding Fifita who finished the play.

The Titans notched one more try before halftime and it was a length of the field effort.

Moeaki Fotuaika offloaded to AJ Brimson in the in-goal.  The next play, Taylor hit Thompson with a long ball and the winger again found space and bounced off defenders.  As the cover defence came, Thompson got an arm free and flicked the ball to co-captain Jamal Fogarty who scored under the posts.

Leading 24 points to 10 at the break, it was Souths who struck after halftime, levelling the scores after 15 minutes of the second stanza.

The first try came through Dane Gagai who finished off a nice backline play, the next was Benji Marshall who first set up a line break through the middle and then followed in support to score the try.

Adam Reynolds converted a penalty in the 15th minute of the second term and scores were level.

Souths split the middle of the Titans defence again, this time it was Cameron Murray finding Benji Marshall.  The veteran, playing in the centres, drew Brimson before passing to Alex Johnston who took the visitors lead to six.

The Titans would hit back through Tyrone Peachey to square the game up at 30-all with 10minutes to go.

A strong run from Corey Thompson was followed by a big effort from Peachey to burrow over close to the line. 

Souths went back down their left edge where they had success and scored through Marshall to once again take the lead.

A pair of Fotuaika penalties in the final five minutes allowed the Rabbitohs to extend the lead via an Adam Reynolds penalty goals and that was where the game would finish up at 40-30 after a highly entertaining affair in front of 17,383 people.