You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Eels first half blitz sees off Titans at Cbus

A 20-point first half from the Parramatta Eels has powered them to victory at Cbus Super Stadium tonight.

A resurgent Gold Coast Titans fired some shots late to win the second half, but it was not enough with the Eels coming away 26-8 victors in the Round 18 clash.

With all three Titans State of Origin players returning to the line-up, the Gold Coast side looked strong pre-game against a Parramatta side who were missing both Mitchell Moses and Junior Paulo.

The home-side started the game with an encouraging kick from the side by Fogarty, straight to Thompson who failed to ground the ball on the 5th minute.  

But it was Parramatta who put the first points on the scoreboard though with Dylan Brown breaking through Titans’ defence to score in the corner a few minutes later.

Soon after, the pain was added as Titans Co-Captain Kevin Proctor was put in the bin for a dangerous tackle on Isaiah Papali’i.

With only 12 men on the field, Parramatta’s Shaun Lane crossed the line soon after, with Gutherson failing to convert the try from near in front. 

Parramatta’s Nathan Brown then broke through Titan’s defence in quick succession before passing the ball to Mahoney who scored in the 24th minute.

With Parramatta holding a 64% possession through the first half, the Titans managed to hold the Eels off their line for back to back sets.

But with the Titans missing Proctor and the weight of possession against them, Parramatta’s Haze Dunster scored in the corner pushing Parramatta to a 20-0 lead in the 27th minute.

The Titans pain pain continued when a promising attack up the right sideline ended with Titans winger Phillip Sami going off with an ankle injury.

The home-side finished the half without scoring, trailing 20-0 to the Parramatta.

The Titans started the second half with an energetic and passionate attacking set and after forcing an error from Isaiah Papali’i, the Titans had a second set attacking inside the Eels 30.  

On the 5th tackle of their set, Fogarty attempted a bomb which charged down by Reed Mahoney who chased and recovered the ball down the field.

On the 50th minute, the Eels crossed again when second-rower, Ryan Matterson pushed across the try line to increase the Eel’s lead 24-0.

The bad news continued for the Titans with Co-Captain Jamal Fogarty taken off the field soon after with an injury to his hand.  

From there the game flowed end-to-end without either team taking advantage, before an incredible try saving tackle came from AJ Brimson pushing Haze Dunster over the sideline.

In the set restart, Ryan Matterson was put on report for a dangerous tackle on AJ Brimson, who briefly left the field as a result.

The Titans finally put points on the board in the 61st minute, with Brian Kelly coming over the line to score his 5th try in 6 games.

With Fogarty off the field, Patrick Herbert missed his conversion attempt.

The Titans attack was energetic in the 67th minute with Brian Kelly kicking a short ball to David Fifita who crossed the line to score the Titans second try of the night and his 12th for the season.

Herbert was unsuccessful with the conversion from the sideline leaving the score 26-8 to the Eels.

The score remained unchanged from there with a Dave Fifita double denied by the bunker right on the full time siren.

The Titans are 'away' next week to the St George Illawarra Dragons at Cbus Super Stadium.