You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
AJ brilliance secures last minute thriller

A 79th minute miracle play has seen the Gold Coast Titans clinch victory from the jaws of defeat against the Wests Tigers at Cbus Super Stadium.

Battling through the adversity of floods, injury and COVID withdrawals – including Beau Fermor being ruled out on game day – all had looked gone for the home side until a fortuitous ricochet off the posts from Toby Sexton saw AJ Brimson dive on the ball in-goal, securing victory in a finish no script writer could ever have imagined.

The win was particularly special for Kevin Proctor who celebrated his 100th Titans appearance, as well as Jamayne Isaako who made his Gold Coast debut in the 8-6 victory.

First half

A family-friendly crowd rolled through the turnstiles for the Thursday night clash at home to kick-start the Easter school holidays.

Battling through the adversity of floods, injury and COVID withdrawals, four Titans made their season debuts with new Gold Coast back Isaako joining Corey Thompson, Jarrod Wallace and Sam McIntyre in the list of players taking to the field for the time in 2022.

There were danger signs in the first three minutes when the Wests Tigers found the line, but a welcomed call in the home side’s favour saw the four-pointer denied.

A see-sawing game that developed into an arm wrestle early, the Titans had a great chance with good ball in the eighth minute, but the Tigers defence kept them out.

This extended to the 17th minute when a clever play from powerhouse David Fifita led to him charging over the line, but upon closer inspection by the Bunker, the powerful ball runner to be held up.

Further attacking raids continued in the following set, where the Gold Coast crossed the chalk through a creative set play involving Toby Sexton and Isaako, before finding Proctor who tipped on nicely to Thompson – although the winger lost control of possession as he was diving to score.

The Legion had plenty to cheer about when Tyrone Peachey was sinbinned for a professional foul in the 23rd minute, and the home fans politely reminded him what it was like to play at Cbus again.

As the contest ensued in the next 15 minutes, a penalty near the posts saw Sexton kick the penalty goal.

The Gold Coast were on a roll straight after the restart with Wallace floating a perfect cut-out ball to Marzhew, who broke away and was almost home and hosed, before the pass was ruled forward.

A further penalty just before half-time rubbed salt into the wounds and the Tigers levelled things up as both teams went into the sheds locked at 2-2.

Second half

It was another end-to-end second half with plenty of gritty defence on show as both teams muscled up to keep the points-scoring to a minimum.

A Luke Brooks penalty goal was the only points scored in the opening half hour of the second half.

A further two points were added by the Tigers No. 7 in the 77th minute, before the magical play by the Titans with their backs against the wall led to the first try of the game in the final moments of the game when everyone thought the Titans were finished.

Next week

The Titans will enjoy a nine-day break to celebrate the victory before meeting Parramatta again, this time at home, hoping to avenge the Round 1 narrow loss.

Acknowledgement of Country

Gold Coast Titans proudly acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we are situated, the Kombumerri families of the Yugambeh Language Region. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging, and recognise their continuing connections to the lands, waters and their extended communities throughout South East Queensland.