You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Titans succumb to Sharks in wet conditions at Cbus

The Titans fell short against the Cronulla Sharks in wet conditions at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday night, finishing seven points behind in a 25 - 18 ball game. 

With plenty of energy on both sides despite the conditions, the visitors managed to restrict the fast-finishing Titans to 18 points and seal the game with a Nicho Hynes field goal in the closing minutes. 

Despite the rain, it was great to see so many members of the Legion out in force to light up Cbus Super Stadium and fans were up off their seats in the 16th minute when Jarrod Wallace scored back-to-back tries with a hulking run over the line... quite fitting on Super Hero Sunday.

A quick play-the-ball from Beau Fermor allowed Erin Clark to draw the markers left before AJ Brimson got to work finding a hole in the defence... to which the 182-game forward ran from 12 metres out to link up with his five-eighth and run over the top of three defenders, helping take an early 6-0 lead against the Sharkies.

The visitors were able to hit back in the 23rd minute with a four-pointer to Connor Tracey, levelling the scores which was the tally at the half-time break.

The second half brought heavy rain and an early shift down the left from the Sharks saw Nicho Hynes opening the scoring.

The Titans then went very close of a monster Jayden Campbell bomb but the bunker later overturned what would have been a Sam McIntyre try.

The Sharks then went in again through Ronaldo Mulitalo and debutant Lachlan Miller in quick succession to open up an 18-point gap in the 55th minute. 

With 10 minutes remaining, the Titans needed a big play to put themselves back in the contest and Toby Sexton answered the calling by putting his Superman cape on and teamed up with Wallace to deliver a much-needed four-pointer to get within reach -  a well-timed grubber-kick allowing the powerful prop to scoop up the ball and make it 24-12.

The Titans continued their onslaught on the back of points, finishing with a cross-field play to put Esan Marsters over in the corner. Jamayne Isaako then added the extra two points from the sideline in wet conditions, making it a 6-point ball game at 24-18.

Unfortunately, the Titans couldn't finish off their late second-half resurgence, losing the ball twice in their own half to gift the visitors an opportunity to finish off the game. Sharks halfback Nicho Hynes was the man to do it, kicking a field goal in the final minute to put a winning score line out of reach for the home side.

The Titans will now look ahead with a quick turn-around before facing the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night. 

Acknowledgement of Country

Gold Coast Titans proudly acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we are situated, the Kombumerri families of the Yugambeh Language Region. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging, and recognise their continuing connections to the lands, waters and their extended communities throughout South East Queensland.