WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
AFTER several weeks of negotiations the Titans have jumped the final hurdle that stood between them and landing the prized signature of Kiwi international Kevin Proctor, agreeing to a four-year-deal.
The Titans on Wednesday afternoon announced one of the biggest signings of the off-season so far, which foxsports.com.au understands to be worth $550,000-a-season starting in 2017.
With Proctor to join the Titans for pre-season training in January, after a well-earned break following a hectic 2016 that’s included a grand final and New Zealand’s Four Nations campaign, here’s five burning questions that are raised by the transfer.
Storm Football Director Frank Ponissi said:
Proctor would be sorely missed but they could not stand in the way of his opportunity to secure his future.
“KP has been a massive part of our football club over the last nine years,” Ponissi said.
“He set an example for the rest of the playing group with his work ethic and relentless approach to seeing this club succeed. He has been a mainstay of our line-up, having only missed 10 games since the start of 2011.
“KP is extremely popular with our staff and playing group and the influence he has had on our younger players will no doubt help them step in to fill his position within the team.
“While we would have loved to have seen him play the remainder of his career in the purple jersey, we understand the opportunity for both him and his young family to return home to the Gold Coast.
“We wish both Kevin, his partner Leesa and their daughters the best of luck for the next chapter of their lives, they will always be welcome here as a part of the Storm family.”
Melbourne Storm almost lost Kevin Proctor two years ago to a rival club, on Wednesday they lost him to the call of home.
The New Zealand-born, Gold Coast-raised second-rower was released from the final two years of his Storm contract to join the Gold Coast Titans on a multi-year deal.
The 27 year old played 179 games for the Storm, sixth most games in club history, and rose from obscurity to become one of the NRL's most dangerous forwards.
In May 2014 Proctor had all but signed with Canberra Raiders after receiving a lucrative offer to help rebuild Ricky Stuart's side but he turned down the deal to stay in Melbourne.
This time the chance to start building his life for after football convinced the Storm to let him leave early.
Fan made video