You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Tweed comeback falls short against Wynnum Manly

The Wynnum Manly Seagulls withstood a second-half surge from Tweed Seagulls to hang on for a 36-24 win.

A passionate crowd flocked to Iona to watch the Wynnum Manly Seagulls take on Tweed Seagulls, the first time an Intrust Super Cup game had been played at the ground, and on a school ground in general.

The hosts had even constructed a special "chook pen" for supporters who were treated to some champagne football by Wynnum Manly in the first 15 minutes of the game to set up the win.

Prior to the start of play, the Wynnum Manly were accompanied by local Iona juniors through a guard of honour formed by current and former Iona College students.

Both teams then lined up either side of halfway with the Oliver family to hold a minute silence for Mark (Ollie) Oliver who passed away two weeks ago.  Mark was a lifetime supporter of WMS and an Iona old boy.

Play then got under way and Wynnum went at it from the jump and were 26 points up inside of 20 minutes, after tries from Ed Burns and Kauri Aupouri-Puketapu, with his first coming in the ninth minute and his second in 18th minute of the match.

Jayden Berrell passes for Wynnum Manly Seagulls. Photos: Jorja Brinums / QRL
Jayden Berrell passes for Wynnum Manly Seagulls. Photos: Jorja Brinums / QRL

Jack Campagnolo had his kicking boots on, and the Queensland Gulls were looking at going to the sheds halftime with a clean sheet.

However late in the half, Tweed scored close to the posts off a Jaleel Save-Derbas try and with Lindon McGrady’s conversion, the halftime score was 28-6.

Inside 11 mins of the second half, Wynnum had two more tries on the board, with a very handy long-range effort by Jayden Berrell followed up by Matt Lyons soon after.

When they were out to a comfortable lead however, Wynnum then lost their momentum and their direction late in the second half and let Tweed back into the game.

Three tries in seven minutes by Tweed from the 60-minute mark from Talor Walters and a double to Liam Hampson brought the visitors to within striking distance at 36-24.

After the game, coach Adam Brideson was genuinely pleased with the result, considering the late changes both teams had to make to their line ups owing to the NRL advice to withdraw top 30 squad member players due to the recent COVID scare in Brisbane.

Brideson was happy for Wynnum's latest club debutants Jacob Sturt, Kelepi Faukafa, Selwyn Cobbo and Lyons who came into the line-up with Jesse Arthurs, Keenan Palasia, Isaac Luke and TC Roboti withdrawn.

Wynnum start the season 2-0 and a dressing room full of optimism and will next face Northern Pride at Barlow Park in Cairns.

Tweed Seagulls will host Souths Logan Magpies on Saturday, April 10, with both teams aiming to overcoming their close Round 2 losses.

Acknowledgement of Country

Gold Coast Titans proudly acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we are situated, the Kombumerri families of the Yugambeh Language Region. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging, and recognise their continuing connections to the lands, waters and their extended communities throughout South East Queensland.