You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Jersey Competition

2019 Winner – Tyler Smith

2019 Indigenous Jersey Winner.
2019 Indigenous Jersey Winner.

“Stronger as one” is the powerful theme of the Gold Coast Titans’ 2019 Indigenous jersey.

The emotive and thoughtful design, based on artwork titled “Korowa tarig” by rising Newcastle artist Tyler Smith, was chosen as the winner of the Gold Coast Titans Indigenous jersey design competition.

Smith’s design beat a hot field for the honour of being turned into the Titans’ 2019 Indigenous jersey, to be worn in the Round 19 clash against the Broncos at Cbus Super Stadium on 27 July.

Competing artists were told their designs must reflect the Titans club, and the values of passion, resilience and community. Smith’s design more than delivered on the brief.

“Korowa tarig means ‘the sea coast’ in the traditional language of the Awabakal people,” Smith explains.

“The beauty of the Gold Coast is recognised around the world. My artwork represents its unique beaches and ocean life, which attract so many people every year and is something the locals should have much pride in."

“The illustration shows a school of fish swimming together as they are stronger as one. This also represents the essential teamwork needed to be a successful football team and organization.”

“My father does Aboriginal art, and he taught me that art usually starts with the local area, the local animals, the landscape and the geography of the area. That is where I got my style from."

“It is going to be awesome to see it. It hasn’t really hit me yet that they team will be wearing a jersey that I designed,” he said. “I think it probably won’t hit me until after the game, but I reckon it will be a bit surreal.